Monday, April 27, 2009

Book Review- My Booky Wook by Russell Brand


(I'm still using my kindle and still really love it.)
Russell Brand is a British comedian/entertainer. I saw him on Graham Norton a couple of months ago and was really impressed with his routine, his get-up, his spunk. It was the first that I had seen or heard of him and I thought he was eccentric and funny, like someone who needed to be watched closely because he was sure to be treasure chest of witticisms and edgy humor. So, when I saw his memoir on my kindle list, I thought 'Sure. That's bound to be a bundle of fun.' His story is compelling: former addict (not just to drugs), dysfunctional family, dark sordid past and so on. I can be a sucker for these circuitous stories of redemption. A lot of people are, I guess, because there are so many of these books available. I'm now maybe 40% finished with this book and I simply can't read anymore of it. It is so completely uninteresting. Sure, once in a while there will be a clever turn of phrase that I make a note to try to remember, but aside from that, it's as if this memoir somewhere jumped the shark. Even though there are quite a few 'revelations' in the book, I keep getting the feeling like there's no meat to the content. (Yes, Russell Brand has been a vegetarian for years, so there's that...yawn...) It's as if, even with all of his tales of sexual exploits and getting high, the book still seems remarkably sanitized. Maybe sanitized isn't the right word. Maybe it's simply predictable which is kinda worse, in my opinion. I'm not going to finish reading this unless I'm stuck on a desert island with an endless supply of battery-power for my kindle. And even then, I would be hard-pressed to call it entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I thought the latter half of the book was better than the beginning, though. His childhood seemed to me to be a carbon copy of every child actor in Hollywood. Also, I watched his late night interviews with American hosts and his responses were the exact same as what is in the book. I could have just watched 30 minutes of his stuff on youtube instead of reading this book.

    ReplyDelete