Thursday, April 2, 2009

Jars of Deliciousness

It's not intentional that my last few posts have been on the sentimental side of things, but whatever. Pretend that I am sitting on a rocking chair on a porch, my hair up in bun and glasses perched on the tip of my nose, while I relay another snippet from the good ol' days... Again, when I was a child growing-up on a farm in rural Tennessee...My dad tended our beehives. There were 4-5 of them out on the far side of the garden. My dad was terribly allergic to bees so there's a bit of absurdity at the extremes of my family's self-sufficiency. My dad would suit-up from head-to-tow in his protective gear and my memories of this are of something akin to Homer Simpson in a fall-out suit. Eventually, my dad would return with jars of honey and bits of the honeycomb. It was absolutely delicious and I still remember the occasional fright of finding a stray bee in one of the chambers of the honeycomb.
Without the need to suit-up, we've been busy bottling jars of certified organic honey to be given as wedding favors for the spring nuptials of a very special client. In order for honey (and beeswax) to be certified organic, the bees must have a 3-mile radius of certified organic land around their hives (bees won't fly further than 3 miles from their hives). Besides a great taste, honey is high in anti-oxidants is a natural humectant* which means that it is a superb ingredient in skincare products. It tastes great in tea, on biscuits and on peanut butter and banana sandwiches.
*humectant means that it attracts moisture

No comments:

Post a Comment